Major | The Woods - Texturing Progress 5 and Moving Back to Maya

18:05

I have finished refining the rest of the character by creating extra definition and adding interest around the Giant's body. I found that the wood and the moss looked very separate so I went over the body again, painting in moss to help give the Giant a more aged and blended look. While painting, I referenced a lot of moss-covered trees and thought a lot about where I imagined the moss might form naturally.

I have begun moving everything back over into Maya, beginning with the textures and Mudbox paint layers. I need to bring over the displacement maps to give the mesh its detail, as it's currently at a very low subdivision level, but this will be very back-and-forth between Mudbox and Maya as the settings can be somewhat fiddly. I'll be uploading test renders as I go, and once all of the displacements are set up I'll render out a turnaround of the Giant in its default pose before moving on to rigging.

While working in Mudbox I ran into the same problem as before a couple of times, in which the software crashed and corrupted my files, causing me to lose a lot of my progress. I have been keeping several copies of my files so it wasn't quite as bad as it could have been, but it set me back a couple of days overall. I think it has a lot to do with RAM as my memory is frequently reaching around 80%, despite having 16GB. Is there any way to lower Mudbox settings within the Viewport other than lowering the subdivision level?

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Sounds like you're having a frustrating time with crashes etc... but the work you've done to blend the moss and the bark etc has paid off - looking much more integrated now.

    ReplyDelete