Premise | Reflective Statement

21:50

Overall, I've found this project quite enjoyable yet difficult, mainly due to the struggle I've had with the script and creating a decent idea that invokes the desired feelings and thoughts within the viewer but still being sensitive myself so as not to add to the sexism that I'm highlighting. I'm happy with where the idea has ended up, having come all the way from a step-by-step representation of the Heroine's Journey, but recognise that I need to work some more to reintroduce that sense of conflict within the story that has been dropped over time. I'm also unsure that the deeper meanings behind the scenes (woman as carer, woman as prisoner, etc) are recognisable to viewers who have no prior knowledge of my project and what I'm attempting to convey.

I'm pleased with the direction the art took over the course of the project as I applied a lot more colour than I usually do and had a rougher style as opposed to my usual which is generally far more neat and controlled. At times though, I do think the storyboards and animatic can be hard to read as there is a lack of definition in the characters and scenery that could have been reached had I given myself more time to draw everything out as I did for the background of the Mulan exterior scene which looked much better-rendered than any of the other scenes. On top of editing the script, I have to design more concepts for props used in the animation as, so far, there are no concepts or turnarounds for the boat, bow, quiver, hook or cars - all of which will be needing proper designs to be taken forward into Maya.

While I have enjoyed the process of creating this animation, I am unsure whether it's something I'll want to continue through to Year 3. As I hope to work as a 3D character modeller after graduating from University, I think it may be more beneficial to design, model and rig a character to a professional standard which can then be used to apply for work. I'm still unsure of this so I'll be discussing this idea further in the future.

You Might Also Like

0 comments